Ubuntu - the best art of operating system crafted

I've been busy with my daily routine, nearly to forget this blog. Thank god, I didn't forget this very blog. Well, as my blog readers know, I'm working in IT related, system development field and not officially into art and design field. However, my interest still goes deep into art and craft.

Lately, I've been playing a lot with this Ubuntu, a linux based operating system. Believe it or not, linux have gone far beyond the art of operating system. I would love to nominate Linux as the best operating system ever crafted. Why? because it was crafted by developers around the world without aiming for "money" in the first place. They build it to for the sake of having a flexible operating system for themselves to use. And what's good about linux is, they are sharing it for free around the earth globe.

As I've used to do my works in this OS, I'm starting to love it. If someone ask my recommendation whether to use Microsoft Vista or XP?, I'll surely say, "you better use Ubuntu!!". I'm not getting any sponsorship from Ubuntu for promoting them. I'm just sharing something great that I've tried.

For designer and artists, there is a lot you can do in Ubuntu. And for god sake you can even add or request more features you would like to have in it. Isn't it great? Photo editing can simply be done in Ubuntu using the free Gimp and Logo or vector design can be productively accomplished using Xara Extreme. You can get all of them for free!! yes!! for free!!

To prove my words, you may have a look on these software that is freely available for Ubuntu users who love arts and designs.

Photo Management...
Picasa for Ubuntu - Google's photo managing software.
F-Spot - a full-featured personal photo management application for the GNOME desktop.
DigiKam - a free, opensource advanced digital photo management application for linux.
JBrout - a photo manager, written in python/pygtk under the GPL licence. It's cross-platform, and has been tested on GNU/linux and windows XP/2k.

Raster Graphics/Photography/RAW Tools...
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
UFRaw - The Unidentified Flying Raw (UFRaw) is a utility to read and manipulate raw images from digital cameras. It can be used on its own or as a Gimp plug-in.
MetaPixel - a program for generating photomosaics.
GimpShop - Fork of The Gimp, shortcuts and menus like in photoshop, but otherwise it's the same old Gimp.
Hugin - an easy to use cross-platform panoramic imaging toolchain based on Panorama Tools.


Vector Graphics
InkScape - An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.
Xara Xtreme - A winner. It really is a good substitute for Illustrator.

Graphic designer who is already used to use Mac will see this operating system as the new Mac OSX because we can have mac experiences in Ubuntu. Check out the Ubuntu Official site for more info.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not an oil pastel portrait yet

Cameron Diaz on pencil

Halftones, Screentones and Toning